I’m a sucker for anything lemon. I think it’s just such a refreshing flavor. I’d been craving waffles for a while, so I decided I’d try to make gluten free ones from scratch. And then I got ambitious and put lemon in them because it sounded refreshing. These turned out really well. I will say that if you aren’t obsessed with lemon, you may want to tone it down on the glaze by adding some heavy cream in place of some of the lemon juice or by reducing the zest. These are a keeper, and we’ve had them a few time since I made them the first time.
- 2 cups flour (gluten free: 1/4 c. each tapioca flour and potato starch, 1 c. brown rice flour and 1/2 c. oat flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or 1/2 c. sour cream and 1 c. milk)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 ounces unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon infused olive oil (regular is fine, but lemon gives it a better flavor)
- zest of two lemons
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- zest of one lemon
For the waffles, mix all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until batter is smooth. Heat waffle iron to medium heat and use cooking spray between batches. Cook until golden brown (depends on your waffle maker). While making the waffles, make the glaze by combining all ingredients and whisking until smooth. Top waffles with glaze and enjoy!
Yields 6 Belgian-sized waffles.